Sunday, February 17, 2008

Re: “Malaria - The Final Solution?” Response from Leading Malaria Researcher

N.B. Foremost malaria diagnosis researcher, Prof Paul Wiseman, has kindly responded to my Malaria write-up, first published in leading Nigerian monthly, TIMELESS:

Re: “Malaria - The Final Solution?”


Dear Adeleke,


I just finished your article and greatly enjoyed it.

Thank you for your interest in our recent research. I would be happy to do an online chat sometime.

I should point out that our research has shown a window into detection of malaria by the hemozoin pigment that the parasites all produce. So the next stage in this research is securing support to build a prototype device. I have been contacted by several researchers in the malaria field who are hopeful about this, so I am hoping we can take this to the next stage.

I must admit that I did not know much about malaria one year ago...the scale of this disease is indeed staggering.

It is early in the process, but I would be most pleased if our research made some impact on accurate and early diagnosis. So I am learning and encouraged that this little project appears to be exciting researchers and others directly affected by the disease. (I have received e-mails from doctors and nurses in the Cameroon and the Philippines as well.)

I would be more than happy if you wanted to visit our lab…


Regards,

Prof. Paul Wiseman

McGill University, Montreal Canada


“There is a silent tsunami under way all the time in rural Africa. Every month, as many children die of malaria in Africa as died in the tsunami – about 150,000 children dying every month.” – Dr. Jeffery Sachs, director of the U.N. Millennium Project, Columbia University Economist

No comments: